Thursday, October 22, 2009

Yay for Frost!

Ah, the fun of deicing. I don't know exactly why I get so rapturous over it, but I love to deice airplanes! I did two of them this morning and loved every second of it. I love wearing the harness, climbing into the bucket, lifting it up to wing height and I even love the jerking and swaying that comes every time the truck makes the smallest movement. I like watching the orange glycol melt the frost, using just enough to cover the patches but not enough to drip off the wing. I love driving back behind the plane and being blasted by the APU exhaust--it's a burst of warmth in the middle of a very cold job. I love how wide the A300 wing is, just as much as I love how easy the 757 wing is to deice because it's so narrow. And I love that it is such an unusual job, with a slight element of danger. Why would I ever want to work at a desk!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment