Monday, July 20, 2009

Menly Men

I have a sister who is married to a "sensitive" guy. Think World of Warcraft, geeky, picked on in high school, skinny and prone to depression. Apparently, she was pretty offended when she found out I thought him less than manly. I, and others, have told her it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, she's the one who is married to him so she is the one who should love him. If others aren't attracted to him or don't find him manly, all the more safe and secure for her. She's still mad though and has decided that my definition of manly must be "someone who will beat me."

To set the record straight: manly to me means strong. Strong emotionally so as not to be needy or to require walking around on eggshells. Strong mentally so they can keep up with conversations, games, subtle sarcasm, cultural references, etc. Strong physically cause that's just a turn on. And strong socially so as not to embarrass me or themselves in public. I don't mean they need to be overly social, just able to read others and know what is and is not appropriate to the situation. Overall though, I want a man who is confident. That is the manliest trait of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment