Friday, June 26, 2009

Integrated Airport/English Services

I love my job. I work on an airport ramp, moving cargo. I have a BA in English and graduated Summa cum Laude, and would rather do grunt work on airplanes than actually use my degree. What is wrong with me!?!

Right now I work for Integrated Airline Services as the contract company for UPS. We work 2 big planes and about 11 small planes. Our big planes are A300s and occasionally a 757, and our small ones are Beech 99s and Metro something-or-others. I love every part of the job: marshaling, moving cans, stacking the cargo boxes in the planes, etc. I love working outside, love the physical aspect, and even love the environment of inappropriate comments and bad behavior from my fellow rampers. (At least the cool ones. The dorks I could do without.)

I worked for 5 1/2 years on the America West/US Airways ramp in Colorado Springs, and quit that job in order to go back to school. After getting my BA I moved to Utah, looking for a writing job. A year later, I'm happily back at the airport. (It's so much more appealing than working at a desk all day long.) I kick myself fairly often for quiting Am West! If I could do it again, I would have done more to stay part-time there while going through school. I love having my degree, but I also love the airport. My new challenge is to find a job that will integrate both.

No comments:

Post a Comment