Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Religion and Politics!


I've wanted to share the above article with others for a while, and it finally dawned on me that I could probably find it on the internet and provide a link to it...just like that. (I love the internet!) This was an article I read while helping my cousin in her English class. (And by helping I mean writing all her papers for her...shh, don't tell!) I loved it and used it extensively in two of her papers. In case you don't care to read the whole thing (it is kind of long) here is the gist of it:

"America is simultaneously the most professedly Christian of the developed nations and the least Christian in its behavior."

I've felt for a long time that Christians tend to give Christ a bad name. (We are far too judgmental!) But, as McKibben says, if we could get back to the most basic principle of the Gospel, that would change: Love thy neighbor as thyself. I will admit that is an incredibly hard thing for me to learn personally, and I believe it will take me my whole life to even come slightly close to figuring out how to do it. But I also know it's the only thing we can do to truly be Christian.

Politically speaking, that means doing things like taking care of the poor, feeding the hungry, giving everyone access to healthcare, and other things that my Republican upbringing didn't teach me. But I've also found an interest in politics I've never had before. I guess I've finally found something I believe in!


No comments:

Post a Comment